- The over-40s pole dancing troupe who are happy to show off their skills!!!
Last updated at 11:33 AM on 10th January 2012
Meet the Pole Pumas - a group of middle aged women who say you are never too old to pole dance.
Wearing skimpy outfits more commonly seen on women half their age, the group of over-40s practise the sensual hobby.
The young-at-heart dancers perform sexy and acrobatic routines made popular by strippers using the pole as a prop.
Pole dance instructor Barbara Robinson, 49, says her class is popular with middle-aged women going through break-ups and divorces, who want to feel sexy again.
She said: 'Poling changed my life, it sounds so cliche, but it's true.
'Older women enjoy poling as they are more in touch with their sensuality, whereas younger women are self-conscious and worried about the strip club stigma of poling.'
The term Pole Pumas was coined by fellow pole instructor Becca Armijo, 41.
She said: 'I wanted a name that expressed our confidence and strength.
Everyone's talking about cougars - the older ladies dating younger men - but we're not quite at that cougar age so we're the pumas, the pole pumas.
'Pole dancing has made me feel strong enough to be a single mum, to go back to school and to run my own business.
'I feel I can rely on myself. I am strong.'
During the women-only classes in studios around Los Angeles, US, lights are dimmed, candles are lit and mirrors are covered by curtains.
This atmosphere, enthusiasts claim, helps them to feel less self-aware and more free to express themselves.
Classes start with a yoga-based warm up with the traditional moves made sexier.
The first pole trick learnt is known as 'the fireman' - a basic swing around the pole.
Dancer Nancy, 47, said: 'I like to tap into my sensuality and be sexy.
'I can express myself and not get bothered by guys. I do it for myself, not for men.'
- Nine Months of Never Quitting
- By: Tiffany Maruniak, Kickboxing Instructor Many people approached me during my pregnancy and asked how I could teach kickboxing or Crazy 80s Cardio when I was nine months pregnant. Well, here's the...
- YOUR POLE INSTRUCTOR NEEDS TO...
- Written By Jennifer Michelle creator of Pole Skivvies How how to strengthen your core muscles. Some instructors favor Pilates, others like yoga, others like traditional calisthenics, but anyone teaching pole needs to understand...
- How to Stay Motivated … And make this a success!
- How to Stay Motivated … And make this a success! Marion Shaffer - Owner Art of the Catwalk Tired of the exercise "yo-yo", starting strong, then quitting after a couple of weeks? Here...